An inactive lifestyle and a job that keeps you many hours sitting every day: these are two of the main reasons behind the backache. People think that it may be caused by a weight lifted in a wrong way, or by and uncomfortable mattress, but the real origin of this problem is the loss of tone in the core and the lack of flexibility and mobility in the kinetic chains.
What is the core?
The core is the set of the muscles that compose the abdomen and that help us in keeping the correct alignment of the spine. Spending many hours sitting on a chair at work may brings us to assume incorrect positions that may affect our posture.
If we include also the time we spend in the car or on a public transport, we can pass more than 8 hours a day sitting. To counter this problem, physical activity becomes our best ally, as it tones our muscles, lubricates our joints and improves the vascularization of our muscles.
Suggested activities to avoid backache
There is not a physical activity which can be considered better than the others, but certainly there are many of them that can be useful in preventing or healing the backache. Depending on your situation and fitness level you can have aerobic, weightlifting, functional training or holistic activities (such as pilates or yoga).
If your goal is to prevent a possible backache, you can choose anyone of the above-mentioned activities as they all improve your tone, mobility and muscle flexibility. If instead you already have some symptoms, my advice is to start with holistic activities and subsequently to pass to the others.
Exercises that you can perform in your workplace
This is a training routine that may be suitable for short breaks at work and that will help you awakening and strengthening the core muscles and will improve your posture:
- Diaphragm breathing with the hands on the legs
- Spine stretching with the hands on the legs
- Cat & Cow while sitting
- Hamstrings stretching
Perform each exercise for around 60” and rest for 20”.
Another thing that may have positive or negative effects while we are working is the type of seat: the Fit Chair is an effective solution to sit and keep active. It is provided with a Gym Ball, which forces you to constant adaptations of your posture at any kind of movement. This has positive effects on the activation of all the postural muscles, allowing also the restoration of the physiological curves of the spine.
- Twists of the torso while sitting on the Fit Chair
- Stretching the iliopsoas on the Fit Chair
- Elastic band overhead push-ups while sitting on the Fit Chair
- Stretching the hamstrings with an elastic band while sitting on the Fit Chair
- Upright rows with an elastic band keeping the elbows in, while sitting on the Fit Chair
Perform each exercise for around 60” and then rest for 20”.
5 useful advices to prevent backache
- Try to devote 120-150 minutes each week to a physical activity
- Drink around 2 liters of water every day: keeping hydrated will help your joints
- Perform some stretching routines every day, whether in the morning, in the afternoon or in the evening
- Keep your weight under control
- Always wear comfortable shoes, which must be suitable to your everyday activities
- Professional athletic trainer and high-intensity training specialist.
- Physical trainer for Cesena Calcio football club for three seasons (2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-18) as strength and conditional coach.
- Fitness consultant as regards training scheduling and the evaluation of the functional training activities, athletic preparation and online coaching.
Sign up with your email address to receive news, events and focus articles about Sidea and OUTRACE